Lucene 3.0.3

Nov 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Hi,

Contratulations for your job! Amazing!

Are you planning a update to lucene 3.0.3? Thanks!

Daniel Hoisel

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Hi Daniel,

Yep, we are planning to upgrade to 3.0.3. Not sure about exact date, however. 

Regards,
Alexey 

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Hello, Alexey!

Do you have any news about upgrading to 3.0.3?

Thanks,
Alexander
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Hello, Alexander!

Unfortunately, no. We are still using Lucene.Net 2.9.4. Migrating to 3.0.3 looks like a lot of work. So we may even skip 3.0.3 altogether and migrate to 4.3 (or 4.5) instead. At least 4.3 has some nice features coming.

Regards,
Alexey
Feb 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM
hello,i update a BoboBrowse.net source code and support lucene.net 3.0.3 now.

the source code at github Bobo-Browse.Net and more information
Coordinator
Mar 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM
Zhengchun, that are great news!
Thank you for your work. We will definitely merger your changes back to BitBucket repo here. We will get the update version tested on our projects locally too.
That also opens now possibility to create a NuGet package.
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Let's get this up on NuGet, shall we?

I would be happy to build a PowerShell script to package it up. Just set up a free account at MyGet, create a feed for bobobrowse, and give my account (NightOwl888) access to manage the feed. I will make sure it works, document the deployment procedure, and then submit a pull request.

Also, please make sure the update is merged into the main repo before I get started.
Mar 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM
BTW - MyGet is just a step along the way to posting the package on NuGet gallery. With the push of a button you can transfer the package.

But you will also need an account on NuGet gallery and I will need permission to push the packages there, as well.
Mar 25, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Ok, I have made a script that is building and packaging the 2 DLL files into a .nupkg file for deployment.

Dependency Issue

However, the fact that the LuceneExt.Net.dll isn't named after Bobo presents a problem. If someone were to make a DLL with the same name, it would not be able to be installed side-by-side, and being this is a separate project in the Java world, someone may eventually port it. I checked and the Java project has been renamed to kamikaze, I also noticed this isn't a complete port (or it isn't complete anymore).

So, there are 2 options to deal with this:
  1. Move this DLL into a separate solution (named Kamikaze.Net) and host/maintain it separately from BoboBrowse.Net, and put it in its own NuGet package. Hopefully, someone will contribute the missing portions eventually.
  2. Rename the DLL to be BoboBrowse.Net.Kamikaze.dll to reduce the chance that someone will have a naming collision if the project is later ported by someone else, and deploy it in the BoboBrowse.Net NuGet package with BoboBrowse.Net.dll.
Being that the latest version of Lucene now contains the portions of Kamikaze that BoboBrowse uses, and the latest version of BoboBrowse has dropped the Kamikaze dependency, I am inclined to just include this DLL in the package and to let someone else deal with supporting a full port of Kamikaze, the same way you did.

But then, I don't know the whole story behind this code, so I would like to hear some opinions about how to deal with this dependency, and whether it warrants having its own project.

Version Numbering

Also, I am trying to work out what version this is a port of? It would make the most sense to use the same version numbering as the Bobo project, but I have no idea what version this was ported from and how (or if) making it support Lucene 3.0.3 affects the version number.

That said, it may make sense to break BoboBrowse.Net and Kamikaze.Net (LuceneExt.Net) into separate solutions just to ensure the version numbering can be kept consistent with the version numbering that the Java projects are using.

Thoughts?
Mar 26, 2014 at 10:27 PM
In case anyone is interested, I have created a MyGet feed with the latest alpha release of BoboBrowse.Net that is based off of Lucene.Net 3.0.3. The feed is at https://www.myget.org/F/bobobrowse_net/. Just add this URL as a package source to your NuGet Package Manager. Note that you need to include prereleases in order to view or install this package from the feed.

I am holding off putting this up on NuGet gallery because the gallery feed should have the same owner as this repository (that's you Alexey) so it can all be managed together. Of course, if you are no longer interested in maintaining this project perhaps another arrangement can be made.

I noticed there is a difference in behavior in this port, that I believe is a bug. I would appreciate if someone would take a look and try to fix the issue so we can get this port into a more stable state.
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:32 PM
I have created a port of BoboBrowse.Net 3.1.0 which is compatible with the latest version of Lucne.Net (3.0.3). The package is now available on NuGet here. All tests are passing, the API is now stable, but I could use some assistance with testing to get it out of beta.